Set up my Local Cloud Servers for Spam Experts
- Setup Requirements
- Add SSH Keys for Passwordless SSH Connection
- Installation of the solution
- Installation complete, now what?
- Manually installing Debian
In order to have the Local Cloud software deployed on your servers, you need to ensure the following steps have been covered:
- Trial - The trial step is purely optional. Once you register for the Local Cloud trial, you don’t have to register again for installation.
- Register - You have to create a Spam Experts account in order to place your order and proceed to the next steps. Go to https://my.spamexperts.com/register.php to register. This step is mandatory in case you haven’t registered already by setting up a Local Cloud trial (step 1).
- Place an order for the Local Cloud filtering service - On this step you will go to Client Area > Order > and Request a Quote. A billing ticket will be submitted. Please contact sales to ensure your billing request has been processed and receive confirmation of it.
- Fill in the Local Cloud Signup Form - Download the Local Cloud Signup form, fill in all the necessary information and send it to our Sales team. Preferably you can send it directly to your account manager who will give you all the contact details and necessary information.
- Proceed with the installation steps as detailed below.
The minimum requirements are as follows:
- Two CPU Cores
- CPU >= 1.8 GHz
- 8GB RAM
- 150GB diskspace. When choosing the disk size for the quarantine/logging (see Clustering) role (by default the primary), take into account that the larger the available disk space the more days you can store quarantine/logging data. This data can optionally be stored on a secondary mountpoint.
- Storage type in order of preference:
- RAID1 or better is recommended against disk failure (RAID5, RAID6 or RAID10 preferred).
- A non-firewalled internet connection (or all required ports (see Firewall Usage) opened)
- Each servername must resolve to one IPv4 (the primary server IP), and optionally in addition 1 IPv6 address (the primary server IPv6)
- The primary IP of each server must have the reverse DNS set to the server hostname
- All communication should be possible over the external IPs (in case of NAT), also communication between the servers in a Spam Experts setup.
- Server hostnames must not be used as MX record hostnames, as they will be visible in the email headers and cannot be changed without a reinstallation. Instead, you can use separate MX record hostnames to easily control the mail flow.
- Network Address Translation (NAT):
- The server should only communicate on its primary external IP address that the server hostname is pointing to regardless of destination.
- Servers should be able to communicate with each other on their external IP addresses.
- The source IP address of connections made between servers should be the external primary IP address.
- Hostnames must not resolve internally to private IP addresses.
We strongly recommend against using NAT, as from our experience clients often experience issues with their NAT setup. Issues with a wrongly set up internal networking are not supported. When using theSpam Experts solution behind a Network Address Translation (NAT) system you need to ensure the following requirements are met in full:
Be Advised: Our solution is fully compatible with a NAT system when properly configured. If you have any questions, please contact our support team.
- Debian Linux (version 9) minimal installation with OpenSSH-Server, 64bit
- No modifications to the default Debian configuration
- Installation on a single partition (no separate partitions for /home, /boot etc). Only separate partition for swap
- There is no custom software installed
- A non-firewalled internet connection or required ports opened - see Firewall Usage. We already run a firewall locally on the systems, and fully protect all services. The security is fully managed by Spam Experts, and we welcome any security audit after the setup of the environment has completed.
- No modification (in case of virtualization) of /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, /etc/resolv.conf after our setup. See Virtualization. Spam Experts will take full care of the software management on the cluster. Customers should not change the configuration of the OS / software (except for the networking settings).
- Round Robin DNS setup is recommended, for more information, see Local Cloud MX Records.
- SSH is remotely accessible with the root user on port 22 (this will be secured by Spam Experts as part of the setup)
After the Debian setup is completed, you need to add SSH Keys for the Spam Experts Setup Operators in order to connect via SSH to your Spam Experts server without a password.
To enable this, just run the following command in a terminal:
wget https://download.seinternal.com/install/init.sh && bash ./init.sh
We need direct ssh access on port 22 as we cannot manage any firewall restrictions on your end. That would imply providing our source IPs and we cannot do this because in case of any changes the network will break.
Once everything is ready to go, the Spam Experts installation team will install the servers. During this time, it is important that the servers are online and reachable. Do not shut them down or reboot them during the installation, since this may prolong the installation.
The installation can take up to 7 working days. Once this is done, you will be provided with login details.
Once the installation is complete, and you have been provided with the login credentials, you can start using the solution.
For details on completing the Debian installation, see the Debian Installation Guide.
You can find the download links from the Debian site.