Uninstall the Advanced Monitoring Agent
Where you no longer wish to monitor servers or workstations we would suggest the Agent is removed from the device with the following sections cover how this can be achieved:
- Automatic Agent Uninstall (from Agent 9.7.2)
- Manually Uninstall the Agent
- Group Policy Uninstall
- Silent uninstall of the Agent from the Command Line
The Dashboard deletion options are available when logged in using an account with General Settings (Devices) permissions enabled.
The deletion is recorded in the Dashboard User Audit Report available from the Reports menu and includes the Date/Time of removal, the Client, Site and Device Details in addition to the Username and action, for example: Agent Uninstalled Manually from Device
Dashboard deletion or Agent Uninstalls are non-recoverable actions. Once confirmed, any information stored in relation to the Client, Site or Device(s) is instantly removed from the database and the data unretrievable.
Please verify the correct item is selected for removal before entering the password and confirming deletion.
Any features and associated Checks deployed by the Agent are removed as part of the uninstall process. This can result in a longer than anticipated uninstall time as each of these programs is removed along with the Agent.
Use the Agent Removal Alertsto receive a notification when Agent removal is through a non-Dashboard method. For example, a manual uninstall.
Automatic Agent Uninstall (from Windows Agent 9.7.2)
Where Windows Agent 9.7.2 is installed on the device, deleting the computer from the Dashboard also uninstalls the Agent. From Agent v9.8.3 the automatic removal functionality was expanded to include Agents installed via Group Policy.
- Log into the Dashboard
- Go to the Servers, Workstations or Mixed pane
- Multi-select the devices for removal (Shift and left-click for a range, Control and left-click for specific devices)
- Right-click on one of the selection or from the Servers, Workstations or Devices drop-down
- Choose the Delete option, for example Delete Workstations
- Verify the number of devices this applies to
- Enter the password of the account you have logged into the Dashboard under to confirm deletion
- OK to apply
Depending on the Agent cycle - and installed features - this removal process may take over an hour to complete.
The Delete Device option simply removes the entries for the device from the database, it does not remove the Agent from the device. The Agent will continue to run and attempt to upload data, but this is rejected on our side as its Dashboard association was removed. To fully uninstall the Agent from the computer a manual uninstall is required.
Automatically uninstall the Monitoring Agent for Windows and Mac provides further information on this functionality and Agent removal behavior.
Manually Uninstall the Agent
To uninstall the Agent directly on the device.
- Log in to the computer
- Go to Add/Remove Programs
- Select Advanced Monitoring Agent
- Uninstall to remove the Agent and all associated programs
- Uninstall or upgrade (Agent 8 and later) choose whether to completely remove the Agent or perform an upgrade uninstall (removes the program's files, retains the configuration settings for use by the Agent if it is reinstalled on the device)
- OK to confirm the Agent uninstall
Group Policy Uninstall
Where the Agent was installed over Group Policy, the Agent must be uninstalled using the existing Group Policy Object. Otherwise, the Group Policy may detect the Agent as uninstalled and attempt to reinstall the next time it runs. From Agent v9.8.3 the automatic removal functionality (Delete Device on the Dashboard) was expanded to include Agents installed via Group Policy.
In either the Group Policy Management Console or Active Directory Users and Computers, depending upon the method used to create the policy:
- Highlight the required Group Policy Object
- Edit to open the Group Policy Editor
- Navigate to the location of the MSI
- Expand Policies (SBS2008), Software Settings and Software Installation
- Right-click the Package in the main Window
- Click All Tasks > Remove
- Select Immediately uninstall the software from users and computers
- Exit out of the Group Policy Editor
To ensure the Agent uninstalls successfully, please do not remove or change the permission of the software distribution point to ensure this location is accessible by the Agent uninstaller, for example the directory NetworkInstaller.
If the deployment folder is not accessible, a silent uninstall command may be used to uninstall the Agent.
Silent uninstall of the Agent from the Command Line
Where the Agent was installed either manually or via the Remote Worker it may be removed silently using the unins000.exe" /silent string.
- Login to the device
- Open a command prompt (Windows key + r then enter cmd)
- Enter the removal command based on the Operating System architecture (32 or 64-bit) and Agent version. From Agent 9.7.2 the removequiet command line switch may be used to uninstall the Agent.
"C:\Program Files\Advanced Monitoring Agent\unins000.exe" /silent
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Advanced Monitoring Agent\unins000.exe" /silent
"C:\Program Files\Advanced Monitoring Agent\winagent" /removequiet
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Advanced Monitoring Agent\winagent" /removequiet