Start Audio or Video Calls
In addition to the Chat feature, you can initiate an audio (VoIP) or video (video and VoIP) call with the customer. Using these features during a support session allows you to directly discuss issues with the customer or view the setup at their end (cabling configuration, port setup, etc.) which can lead to faster problem resolution and aid troubleshooting.
- Click the dropdown in the session window and select Start Audio Call or Start Video Call. This uses your primary audio and video (camera) devices by default.
- Click Audio Settings or Video Settings to change audio and video devices.
- Click on the appropriate icon to mute the microphone or speaker, or pause video broadcast.
Selecting one of the call options immediately sends a request to your connected partner who can choose to accept or reject the call requests.
- Rejecting drops the inbound call and does not impact the session itself.
- Accepting the call immediately launches the audio or video conferencing allowing a two-way exchange of voice or voice and video stream.
The remote user cannot start a call or to hang up. They can only mute their local audio, pause broadcasting, or close the applet.
A technician can have multiple calls simultaneously with customers. All the streams are independent, which allows the technician to mute calls as needed, and maintain several conversations at the same time.
If a session with an ongoing VoIP call is disconnected, the call resumes when the session reconnects. If no sound is detected by the microphone, the audio transmission is paused to limit the bandwidth of the call. When sound is detected by the microphone, the transmission automatically resumes.
Video calling is available from Windows Take Control (SolarWinds) Viewer and Agent version 7.00.07, and from Mac Take Control (SolarWinds) Viewer and Agent version 6.00.08.