Remote Command Line
In Remote Command Line mode, any commands entered in the terminal run on the connected device as if they were entered on the local command prompt. This includes outputting their result in the terminal window.
Use Ctrl+C to restart the command line session in the terminal. For example, end a very long running or never-ending command.
The terminal does not support the exit command, to close the session press the Exit button.
Go to Remote Command Line - Example Commands for a selection of example commands.
- All commands run under the same user context as the Agent service. By default the Local System Account. As such, it is not possible to display any UI elements from executed commands.
- Remote Background Management runs under a service and interactive commands or programs will not display. For example, shutdown with the –i switch or notepad.exe.
- Piping command output to "less", "more" or "find" is not supported. We already redirect the output of cmd.exe back to the Agent
- Piping a command to another command (for example type myfile.txt | more) is not supported. The first command executes, but the output is not direct to the command on the other side of the pipe. The output of each command is already redirected back to the Agent.
- Commands that display a complex UI within the terminal, such as edit or vi, are not supported. So you cannot edit files through Remote Background Management.
- External interactive shells, including WMIC and PowerShell, are not currently supported. Attempted use of these shells may cause the session to hang.
The PowerShell shell is not supported. One potential workaround is to call the PowerShell commands directly from the command line.
Enter powershell <command> in the Remote Background Management Command Line.
For example, to display the computer’s BIOS attributes:
Starting Remote Command Line Session...
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>powershell Get-WmiObject Win32_Bios
SMBIOSBIOSVersion : 6.00
Manufacturer : Phoenix Technologies LTD
Name : PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
SerialNumber : VMware-55 44 aa bb 00 11 88 aa-cc 11 aa 55 22
Version : INTEL - 6040000
When using powershell <command> the results may take longer to return than if they were entered in a PowerShell session.
What do you want to do?
- View example commands
- Administer processes and services (Process and Service control)
- Look at the session notes for the standard edition
- Consider Advanced Edition features