Microsoft OneDrive - Disable Files On-Demand
Files and folders includes the option to add a local Microsoft OneDrive directory to the backup set. To successfully backup the directory's contents on Windows 10, OneDrive's Files On-Demand feature must be disabled.
Files On-Demand was introduced in the Microsoft's October 2017 build of Windows 10. When this feature is enabled, the contents of the directory are stored in the Microsoft cloud and their local versions replaced by symlinks, with the files only downloaded on request. As the files are no longer physically available on the computer, this makes them inaccessible for backup, you cannot back up the symlinks as a replacement of the original file.
To disable Files On-Demand on a computer
- Log into the target computer
- Right-click the OneDrive icon in the notification area or in the File Explorer
- Go to Settings > Open the Setting tab
- Under Files On-Demand
- Deselect the Save space and download files as you use them checkbox (where selected)
- Confirm the files will be downloaded to the computer