Agent Deployment with Monitoring Templates
To ensure Check and Automated Task consistency when installing Agents, the Dashboard includes the option to setup a default Monitoring Template at the overall device level (applied to all new server or workstation installations) or for Clients and Sites (so different Clients or Sites Agent installs can have different templates).
By default, servers and workstations inherit their policy from the Site, which will in turn inherits the policy from the Client, which will in turn inherit policies set for all servers and workstations.
Once setup, any new devices that are installed against this entity will inherit these settings and automatically apply only those Checks and Tasks specified in the Monitoring Template. Note, Checks are only added to Devices capable of supporting that Check.
Default Monitoring Templates are particularly useful when using the Site Installation Package and is also automatically selected when manually installing the Agent (although the person installing the Agent can choose an alternate template).
Configure the default Monitoring Templates in the Settings menu (overall device types, Clients and Sites) and Edit Site (specific Site only).
Settings - New Device Installation Settings
- Log into the Dashboard
- Monitoring Templates
- New Device Installation Settings
- Choose the template target Entity from the left menu (all Servers or Workstations, servers or workstations at the selected Client or Site)
- Set Settings to On or Use Parent (for Client and Site only)
- Select the default template from the Server Default or Workstation Default drop-down (only those templates available for this device type are displayed)
- Run check detection scan to scan the Device and add applicable Checks (available in Agent v10.3.1 and later).
- OK to save and apply
Where a Check exists in the Monitoring Template and was also discovered by the scan, the Monitoring Template version of the Check is added.
Combining the Check Detection Scan with the Asset Tracking Only (no template) template with effectively only add the Checks from the Check Detection Scan.
Edit Site - Default Template
- Log into the Dashboard
- Expand the Client in the left menu tree
- Right-click on the target Site (or from the Edit menu)
- Edit Site
- Select the default Device Type template for the Site
- Save to apply
Default Workstation Monitoring Template
Default Server Monitoring Template
Settings drop-down and New Device Installation Settings
Edit Site Menu and Edit Site Dialog
What do you want to do?