Create the seed backup from the target machine
Launch the Backup Manager on the device the seed backup is to be taken from.
On the computer
- Go to Start > All Programs > Backup & Recovery > Backup Manager
- Click on the desktop's Backup Manger icon (where available)
From the Dashboard
- Right-click on the target device in the north pane of the Dashboard (or from the Server, Workstation or Device drop-down)
- Navigate to Backup & Recovery > Open Backup Manager
- Navigate to the Preferences tab, Seeding.
- Enter the location the seed backup will be saved to in Seeding path then Enable Seeding.
- Accept the seeding confirmation:
- After confirming seeding mode a blank page is returned with the message:Backup & Recovery is being initialized, please wait...
As the logon account Backup & Recovery is running under may not have access to the network location to be used as the vault, for example network share or NAS, when entering the UNC path - starting with \\ (for example \\Storage1\seeding) - it may be necessary to change the logon account for the Backup Service Controller service.
Please, confirm! Enabling Seeding mode, you will have to perform a backup to an external drive and send it to your datacenter or your service provider. Please note that your data is not fully protected until your drive arrives to the recipient.
When the initialization process is complete the Backup Manager displays a yellow notification bar to confirm that Seeding is activated with the Seeding toseeding path and the option to Disable seeding.
To begin seeding
- Go to the Backup tab and verify all the required backup data source selections are in place.
- Click Add for new sources and Edit to amend the existing Data Sources.
- Once satisfied with the selection, click Run seeding.
- After the seeding backup process is finished click Complete seeding on the yellow notification bar.
Please be aware that depending upon the selected size of the backup this process may take some time to complete.
A seeding folder containing the unique identifier for the Backup & Recovery account is created. This identifier is displayed in the Backup Manager the seed backup was taken from as User name in the About section and as Contract: under Reports.
At this point we can now upload the data from the storage device to the cloud.
Q: How does the seed loading tool know what device this backup is for?
A: As part of the seed loading process a unique config.ini file is created in the backup folder on the drive containing the unique identifiers for the backup along with an encrypted copy of the Backup & Recovery username.
Optimize USB disk speed performance by enabling Write Caching in the Device Manager (improving access and write speeds to and from the disk) and we suggest configuring this option before running the seed backup.
The LocalSpeedVault may be configured before running the seeding load to retain a local copy.