Create a Seed Backup
Launch the Backup Manager on the device the seed backup is to be taken from.
To open the Backup Manager when logged on to the device the Backup Manager is accessed from Start > All Programs > Backup & Recovery > Backup Manager or click on the desktop's Backup Manager icon (where available).
To access the device's Backup Manager from the Dashboard, right-click on the target device in the north pane of the Dashboard - or highlight the device and go to the Server or Workstation drop-down - and navigate to Backup & Recovery, Open Backup Manager.
- Navigate to the Preferences tab, Seeding.
- Enter the location the seed backup will be saved to in Seeding path then Enable Seeding.
- As the logon account Backup & Recovery is running under may not have access to the network location to be used as the vault, for example network share or NAS, when entering the UNC path - starting with \\ (for example \\Storage1\seeding) - it may be necessary to change the logon account for the Backup Service Controller service.
- Accept the seeding confirmation:
- After confirming seeding mode a blank page is returned with the message:Backup & Recovery is being initialized, please wait...
- When the initialization process is complete the Backup Manager displays a yellow notification bar to confirm that Seeding is activated with the Seeding toseeding path and the option to Disable seeding.
- To begin seeding go to the Backup tab and verify all the required backup data source selections are in place.
- Click Add for new sources and Edit to amend the existing Data Sources.
- Once satisfied with the selection, click Run seeding.
- After the seeding backup process is finished click Complete seeding on the yellow notification bar.
Please, confirm! Enabling Seeding mode, you will have to perform a backup to an external drive and send it to your datacenter or your service provider. Please note that your data is not fully protected until your drive arrives to the recipient.
Please be aware that depending upon the selected size of the backup this process may take some time to complete.
A seeding folder containing the unique identifier for the Backup & Recovery account is created. This identifier is displayed in the Backup Manager the seed backup was taken from as User name in the About section and as Contract: under Reports.
Additional Devices on same USB drive
Additional devices can be backed up to the same USB drive, providing Seed Loading was requested for these machines. Simply follow the steps outlined above for each device to create the seed backups.
After the backup has completed please repackage the USB drive and cable in the box they arrived in, then reply to the original disk dispatch email for the return shipping information and label. Once the label is received please attach to the box and contact the delivery company to arrange collection at a time convenient to you.
Following the arrival of the disks at our center the data is transferred to the storage account for the relevant devices.
Where Backup & Recovery is in the pre-seeding or seeding state the Backup Check - Backup & Recovery displays as a soft failure (yellow tick) on the Dashboard and alerting for the Check is suspended.
Please retain the packaging the drive comes in as this will be required for its return journey.
The Seed Loading Service can be used in conjunction with the Local Speed Vault, so where this is to be used please ensure it is configured and attached, or reachable, before starting the Seed Backup process.
*It is possible to optimize USB disk speed performance by enabling Write Caching in the Device Manager (improving access and write speeds to and from the disk) and we suggest configuring this option before running the seed backup.