Microsoft Hyper-V Backup
Backup & Recovery 2014 introduced the ability to backup, and subsequently restore, Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines with the Backup Manager automatically detecting when it is installed on a Hyper-V host.
With Backup & Recovery the Hyper-V machines are backed up together with their snapshots to ensure they can be returned to a previous state after recovery and backups may be taken even when the virtual machine is running.
We support versions 2.0 and 3.0 of Hyper-V running on Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2.
Hyper-V is only available as a Data Source when the Backup Manager is installed on a device running Hyper-V as it uses the Hyper-V API.
- Open the Backup Manager and navigate to the Backup tab
- Click Add against Hyper-V in Available sources
- Select the required Hyper-V server then select the guest Operating Systems.
- Expand the selection tree, choose the target virtual machine and select the VHD or VHDX disks to backup. We suggest selecting the whole virtual machine.
- Once the selection is complete click Save to apply.
- Finally, configure the Hyper-V Schedule and amend the Backup & Recovery Check to take account of the increased backup jobs.
It may be necessary to click the Hyper-V server name to display the node structure
- To restore a Virtual Machine;
- Open the Backup Manager
- Choose the restore point from the Session time drop-down
- Select the Virtual Machine then Restore to apply.
- To avoid duplication during the restoration process the current Virtual Machine is overwritten with the restored version and automatically removed from the Hyper-V manager
After the restore is completed, you may see the error message The system cannot find the path specified. The switch port connection for "Network Adapter" when trying to start your Virtual Machine, this error is discussed in the following section Network Adapter is invalid
Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content of external sites.
What do you want to do?
- Hyper-V Cluster Backup
- SMB 3.0 Shares for Hyper-V storage
- Increase Backup Speed (Optional)
- Virtual Disaster Recovery
- Backup & Recovery