Enable Managed Antivirus
Managed Antivirus deployment can be tailored to match the company's precise protection requirements. It may be deployed across the entire customer base on every Windows server or Windows and Mac workstation, at selected Clients or Sites down to individual computers.
When configuring Managed Antivirus choose the scan Engine and Protection Policy to apply to the selection. The Protection Policy configures every aspect of the Managed Antivirus agent including scan schedules, remediation action (i.e. what to do if a threat is discovered) and file and folder exclusions. Policies control Managed Antivirus. By default servers and workstations inherit policies from sites. Sites inherit policies from clients. Clients inherit policies from all servers and workstations.
Each scan Engine has its own default non-billable Checks designed to monitor the state of the product that are automatically added to the device as part of the deployment process and associated with Managed Antivirus*.
Depending on the installed solution and Operating System. You can opt to automatically remove antivirus product already installed on the computer. Actioned as part of the installation process, this helps to avoid potential conflicts.
Select this Windows only option as part of the Managed Antivirus Protection Policy (Bitdefender engine). Or through the below configuration process (VIPRE engine).
Multiple Devices, Clients and Sites
Managed Antivirus can be configured for all Servers and Workstations or servers and workstations at the specified Clients and Sites from:
- Go to Settings > Managed Antivirus > Settings
- Select the Entity . Enabling Bitdefender for Workstations deploys Managed Antivirus on supported Windows and Mac computers
Turn Managed Antivirus On, Off, or Use Parent from the the Settings drop-down
Choose the Engine: Bitdefender or VIPRE (where available)
Select the Protection Policy from the drop-down in the Server Policies or Workstation Polices section
Configure the Installation Settings for VIPRE. The Bitdefender existing antivirus removal setting are inherited from the Protection Policy (Windows only)
OK to apply or Reset to start over
The Protection Policy drop-down only displays the policies available for the selected device type and Engine. For example workstations are split into, Desktop or Laptop.
We use dots in the Settings dialog to make it easier to spot if the feature is enabled or disabled at the entity level, and whether devices under an entity have the same settings.
- Green - Feature or functionality enabled for all devices under that entity. This includes device level settings
- Grey - Feature or functionality disabled on at least one device under that entity. This includes device level settings
- Orange – One of the child entities has a different configuration to the parent. Where a Client only has one Site, its status indicator reflects that of the Site
For further information on each of these states, please refer to Feature and Functionality Settings Iconography.
Enable or disable Managed Antivirus at the device level.
- Right-click on the device in the north panel (or from the Server or Workstation drop-down)
- Choose Edit Server or Edit Workstation
- Go to Managed Antivirus
- Select the preferred Managed Antivirus option from the the Settings drop-down: On, Off or Use Policy Settings
- Choose the Engine: Bitdefender or VIPRE (where available)
- Select the Protection Policy from the drop-down in the Server Policies or Workstation Polices section
- Installation Settings (VIPRE): configure the Competitor Antivirus Removal Tool (CART) settings for the VIPRE engine (the Bitdefender CART settings are inherited from the assigned Protection Policy)
- OK to apply or Reset to start over
Mac Managed Antivirus (Bitdefender)
To ensure full protection the user must authorize Bitdefender's access to the computer.
Review End user actions: macOS High Sierra (10.13) and later for further information.
Managed Antivirus Dashboard Indicators
The Device's Summary tab, Agent Support Features section displays the installation's status. This is also reflected in the Managed Antivirus columns. Bitdefender and VIPRE . Where the Columns menu above the north pane has Managed Antivirus or Managed Antivirus (Bitdefender) or selected.
If the Managed Antivirus installation appears to be stuck at Pending. Ensure the Agent can communicate with the servers listed in Managed Antivirus URLs.
When enabling Managed Antivirus use rerun Checks to initiate the installation process outside of the Check cycle.
* Default Checks
To monitor the status of the product. The following non-billable Checks are automatically during the Managed Antivirus installation.
|Engine: Bitdefender||Engine: VIPRE|
Managed Antivirus Update Check (Bitdefender)*
Antivirus Update Check - Managed Antivirus
Windows Service Check - Managed Antivirus Endpoint Agent Service
Windows Service Check - Managed Antivirus
Windows Service Check - Managed Antivirus Endpoint Host Service
Windows Service Check - Managed Antivirus Endpoint Integration Service
Windows Service Check - Managed Antivirus Endpoint Master Service
Windows Service Check - Managed Antivirus Endpoint Update Service
|Managed Antivirus Update Check (Bitdefender)|
Engine: Bitdefender (Windows only)
The Managed Antivirus services can stop as part of their normal operation. When forcing a restart may affect the smooth running of the software. To avoid this scenario, the Bitdefender Engine's Windows Service Checks have the option to RESTART service if "Stopped" disabled by default. We would advise leaving the option in this state.
* Windows: Managed Antivirus (Bitdefender) 24x7 replaced Managed Antivirus Update Check (Bitdefender) DSC
From Dashboard 6.20.2 the daily Antivirus Update Check - Managed Antivirus (Bitdefender) was replaced with a dedicated 24x7 Managed Antivirus Update Check (Bitdefender). This Check is primarily designed to lessen the false positives that may occur when a machine is powered on, and the Daily Safety Checks run before the previously offline device has updated its definitions. In addition to the changed frequency. This Check also contains improvements to the More Information grid. This now reflects the time the machine last updated, so the returned information is always current. Rather than report the installed definition file from when the Daily Safety Check ran.
As the Managed Antivirus Update Check (Bitdefender) is a 24x7 Check it will not appear in the Daily or Weekly Reports.
Competitor Antivirus Removal Tool: VIPRE Engine (Windows only)
For those devices running Agents 9.8.5 or later, in addition to the selection of the default policy behaviors, this dialog also includes the facility to Automatically remove conflicting antivirus products as well as Automatically reboot device when required under Installation Settings. This removal is achieved via the Competitor Antivirus Removal Tool (CART)
Please be aware that from Agent version 9.2.1 the Managed Antivirus definitions are automatically updated when the Antivirus Update Check - Managed Antivirus fails with the Antivirus Update check running once again when the update has completed. More information on this process is available from Managed Antivirus Threat Definitions - Update Mechanisms.
What do you want to do?
- Review the Managed Antivirus Quick Start Guide
- View Managed Antivirus URLs
- Automatically remove installed Antivirus products
- Configure Managed Antivirus Policies. Includes scan schedules, remediation action (default threat action), end-user interaction
- Look at actions for information on the end user authorization required on macOS High Sierra (10.13) and later
- Manage Quarantined items
- Start and Cancel on-demand scans
- Remotely update Managed Antivirus Threat Definitions
- Analyze Managed Antivirus Reports, these cover the provided level of protection
- Snooze Managed Antivirus (Bitdefender only), for example when performing maintenance on the device
- Read the customer facing Bitdefender Engine - Agent User Guide
- What is Malware?
- View the Windows Managed Antivirus Agent User Guide
- View the Mac Agent Managed Antivirus User Guide