Site Installation Package
Linux Monitoring Agent Version 2 introduced support for the Remote Worker Site Installation Package available from the Dashboard Agent menu, includes the installation credentials along with the Client and Site to register it against. The user simply runs the Remote Worker package to install the Agent on their device, without interacting with the Agent itself.
Access to the Site Installation Package section of the Dashboard is only available to users with Site Installation Package permissions enabled for their login.
Create the Site Installation Package
- Log into the Dashboard
- Go to Agent > Download Agent > Download Site Installation Package and click Next to progress through the wizard
- Choose the Client, Site for the package and Linux Monitoring Agent version.
- Configure the Address, Port, Username and Password where the Network uses Proxy Server (optional)
- Click Download the Remote Worker Installer version of the package
This dialog is Client Group aware and only lists those Clients assigned to the logged in user
Deploy the Agent
After downloading the Site Installation Package the next step is to install the package on the target servers.
- Distribute the Remote Worker Site Installation Packageto users to install on their devices
- Once received, the user unpacks the compressed file
- They then execute the install_agent.sh script file as root to begin the installation process
In the below example we navigate to the Download folder, unpack the zip file then run the installation script.
When in the root shell
# cd Download/
# unzip LINUX_AGENT_CLIENT_SITE_V8_0_0_RW.ZIP
$ cd Download/
$ unzip LINUX_AGENT_CLIENT_SITE_V8_0_0_RW.ZIP
$ sudo ./install_agent.sh
If the user experiences problems executing the script they should run the following command.
When in the root shell
# /bin/bash ./install_agent.sh
$ sudo /bin/bash ./install_agent.sh
After the Agent installs it then appears under the Client and Site the Site Installation Package was generated for.
A warning message appears when running the installer on a device with Linux Monitoring Agent Version 1 installed when upgrading specifically to Linux Monitoring Agent 2.0. This message informs the user that Agent 1.0 will be uninstalled during migration and its data removed from the Dashboard. Answer "y" to continue or "n" to abort the upgrade process. Visit Migrate from Linux Monitoring Agent v1 to v2.0 for more information.
All Site Installation Packages based on Linux Monitoring Agents version 2.0.1 or later support an upgrade path from Linux Monitoring Agent Version 1 that does not require the uninstallation of the existing Agent and retains the device's data.
The Site Installation Package checks the server during deployment and installs any missing Agent dependencies: unzip, ethtool, smartmontools, dmidecode and glibc (2.12 or later).
To aid identification, each package file name includes the Client, Site and installer type, Remote Worker (RW). For example, LINUX_AGENT_CLIENT_SITE_V8_0_0_RW.ZIP
To avoid authentication problems if the credentials (username or password) used to create the Site Installation Package change, we suggest generating a new package based on the update credentials then use this for subsequent Agent deployments.
What do you want to do?
- Review the supported Distributions (overview or detail)
- Manually install Linux Monitoring Agent Version 2
- Cover the steps to update Linux Monitoring Agent Version 2
- Read about managing Automated Tasks
- Uninstall Linux Monitoring Agent Version 2
- Appraise the Required Linux Server Permissions the Linux Monitoring Agent