Network Control Settings
- In Network Control > Firewall click the Settings icon to open the Settings
- The Firewall Settings open in a new pane on the right side of the window
- Define if the Firewall On or Off status is inherited
- If the Firewall On or Off status is NOT inherited, turn Firewall Control on or off for the scope.
- Select a Rule inheritance mode for Firewall Control rules:
- None - Do not inherit rules from the parent scopes
- Auto Subscription - Inherit all rules from the parent scopes. You can add additional rules for this scope
- Manual Subscription - Select the rule tags to inherit. You can subscribe to specific tags from any of the parent scopes. For example, a Group can subscribe to tags from its Site, Account, or Global. You can subscribe to multiple tags from multiple scopes
- If the Rule inheritance mode is Manual Subscription, see the available tags in each parent scope. Select tags to subscribe to
All changes in rules that are linked to a tag are applied to all scopes subscribed to the tag
Manage tags in the Tag Management section.
Important: From version Liberty, you cannot enable or disable Firewall Location Awareness. You can include Locations in rules or not. See Preparing for Firewall Location Awareness in Liberty.
By default, Firewall Control is disabled at the Global level. When it is first enabled, all Sites and Groups inherit the Firewall Control policy from the Global policy.
By default, Agents have Firewall Control disabled, until they connect to a Site or Group with an enabled Firewall Control policy.
When SolarWinds Firewall Control is enabled on Windows endpoints, it becomes the active firewall. SolarWinds Firewall Control takes control but it does not change rules from other firewall solutions on the endpoint.
To configure Firewall Control settings:
- Edit the Policy where Network Control is to be utilized
- Navigate to the Network Control tab
- Click the Settings icon
- Define if the Firewall On or Off status is inherited. To automatically enable or disable Firewall Control based on the parent scope, select Inherit Firewall On or Off status from <parent scope>
- If the Firewall status is not inherited, in Enable Firewall Control, click On
- Optional: To disable Firewall Control for the scope, in Enable Firewall Control, click Off. This disables the feature for your current scope and all Accounts, Sites and Groups that inherit Firewall Control settings from this scope
- Select a Rule inheritance mode - see explanations above
- If the Rule inheritance mode is Manual Subscription,you can see the available tags in each parent scope - select tags to subscribe to as is needed
The Firewall Settings open in a new pane on the right side of the window
For an Account, Site or Group, you must clear Inherit Firewall On or Off status from <parent scope> before you can disable Firewall Control.
Existing rules remain in the policy but become inactive. When you enable Firewall Control again, the rules will become active with their latest Enabled or Disabled state
If the Rule inheritance mode is None or Auto Subscription, no actions are required