To simplify the management of resources support organizations will generally assign each customer to a specific technician or team (Staff user), or may wish to provide the customer with visibility of their own portion of the Dashboard (Client user), and to match this configuration we have introduced the facility to create Client Groups via the Settings menu then assign a Client Group against the Dashboard users in Settings, Users, User Accounts.
Once allocated a Client Group, the Staff user only has access and visibility to the Dashboard for those customers who are member of that specific group. This targeted Monitoring and Management Dashboard view of their area of responsibility ensures that users can focus on their Clients and reduces the noise generated by clients outside of the group.
As the Staff user only has access to their Clients, any multi-device changes made by the user (for example enabling a feature) will only affect those customers who are in the group, rather than all clients.
There is no limit on the number of Clients that are added to a group, either as a maximum or minimum figure, and one Client may be a member of many Client Groups.. For example a group can be created which includes only one Client or a group with all but one Client.
In addition to staff users, Dashboard 6 introduced the facility to add multiple Client level users via the Settings, Users, User Accounts dialog and assign a system or custom role as well as group, this option is in addition to the single user Edit Client, Dashboard Access dialog that defaults to the Client (Classic) role (and is still available).
Due to the intended use of the Client login, to allow customers to view only their portion of the Dashboard, we would suggest setting up single customer Client Group. These can then be assigned against the specific user when configuring their Client access in the User Accounts dialog. This ensures that the Client only has visibility of their own devices and cannot view other customer's machines.
Please be aware that from Dashboard 6.14 the Asset Tracking section and all Dashboard Reports (apart from the account wide User Audit Report and Remote Support Report) are Client Group aware. From this release users will only see Assets and Dashboard Reports that are specific to their assigned Clients; for example when selecting All Clients from a Report drop-down, this will only return the Reports for their Client Group.
This section covers:
- Setup Client Groups
- Manage Group Membership
- Edit Client Groups
- Delete Client Groups
- Save or Cancel Changes
Client Groups are setup and managed when logged on to the Dashboard using an account with Superuser level account, a login with the required Users permissions enabled or the Agent Key (where Dashboard access is enabled*).
- Go to Settings > Users > Client Groups or from Settings > Users > User Accounts> Manage Groups when assigning a Client Group to a Dashboard User.
- Click Add Client Group then enter a descriptive name for the Group, we would suggest using a name that ensures the easy identification of the Group. Please note duplicate Names are not permitted.
After creating the Group the next step is to assign its members via the Clients Outside Group and Clients Inside Group panels.
- Clients are moved between the two panels by multi-selecting the Clients (use Shift and left-click to choose a range of Clients or Control and left-click for specific Clients) then use either the >< transfer buttons or simply drag and drop the selection to the target panel.
- When satisfied with the selection click Save to apply.
The Client Group dialog displays the Name along with totals for the Clients (Clients Inside Group) and Users (configured in Settings, Users) associated with the group.
The Group name and its members are easily edited on the Dashboard in the Client Groups dialog.
- To change the designation of a Group click on its Name then enter the replacement.
- To manage a group's members
- Highlight the group
- Reassign its clients in the associated Clients Outside Group and Clients Inside Group panels.
- When satisfied with the selection click Save to apply.
- Where a group is no longer required it is marked for removal by clicking on the Delete Client Group trashcan icon.
- As a visual indicator of the pending removal state the Name, Clients and Users columns associated with the Group contain a strikethrough and the trashcan icon changes to Undelete Client Group
- To deselect a group (only available before pressing Save) click on the Undelete Client Group icon.
- When satisfied with the selection click Save to delete the selected Groups and enter the password of the account you have logged onto the Dashboard under to confirm removal.
You cannot delete the default All Clients group.
When satisfied with the selection click Save to apply and when prompted enter the password of the account you have logged on to the Dashboard under to confirm any changes, or Cancel to exit the dialog. To avoid accidentally exiting out of the Client Groups dialog and losing any changes, the Unsaved changes prompt requires confirmation of your intentions.
New Clients are automatically added to the All Clients Group.
For a Client logins, use a role based on the 'Client' system role and restrict access with an appropriate Client Group.
Any changes to the Client Group settings will only take effect during the next user session, i.e. after they have restarted their browser and logged back in to the Dashboard.
Please note, any changes made to the Client Groups dialog contain a red triangle against the field as a visual indicator of its edited and as not yet saved status. Once the changes are saved the red triangle is removed from the field.