Passportal Backup Utility
You can download the Passportal Backup Utility from the downloads section in Passportal to easily backup your passwords that are stored on Passportal, as long as you have access to them.
The Passportal Backup Utility can also be run as a scheduled task within windows if you would like to have a periodic backup of your passwords.
- Navigate to Settings > Downloads.
- Click the download link for Passportal Backup Utility for Windows.
- Unzip the file that is downloaded, and run setup.exe.
- Once installed you will need to enter the information of an active organization admin. Keep in mind the account used here will be flagged as knowing all password exported via the tool.
- Tick the Client check box to backup only 1 clients passwords to export as a backup. The dropdown to select the client is enabled when the option is selected. To backup all the passwords for all clients, ensure the Client check box is unticked.
- Tick the Zipfile password and enter a sutable password in the field in order to password protect the backup output.
- Click the Export passwords button.
- Select a target save location and enter a suitable filename, and then click Save.
Depending how many passwords you have, this process could take 5-10 minutes. Once complete, a .csv will be created with all of the passwords at the selected backup location.
Running the Backup Utility via Command Line
The password extractor can be executed from the command line on any 64bit windows operating system. An output file will be created in csv format.
To initiate the password extractor from an external service such as task scheduler use the following syntax:
PassportalBackupUtility.exe EMAIL="PassportalEmail" PASSWORD="PassportalPassword" PASSPHRASE="PassportalPassphrase" COUNTRY="Canada or United States" EXTRACTFILEPATH="Path to the output csv file"
PassportalBackupUtility.exe EMAIL="PassportalEmail" PASSWORD="PassportalPassword" PASSPHRASE="PassportalPassphrase" COUNTRY="Canada or United States" EXTRACTFILEPATH="Path to the output csv file" CLIENTNAME="Passportal clientname" ZIPFILEPASSWORD="Password to encrypt zip file"
The following describes each of the parameters in detail:
- EMAIL=Passportal user account - must have the organization admin permission
- PASSWORD=Passportal account password
- PASSPHRASE=Passportal passphrase
- COUNTRY=Canada or United States (exactly as written here)
- EXTRACTFILEPATH=Path to the output csv file e.g. "C:\Data\Passportal\PasswordDump.csv"
- --Optional Parameters--
- CLIENTNAME=Passportal clientname
- ZIPFILEPASSWORD=Output file zips the CSV file and encrypts with this password