Passportal has a fully native browser extension for Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and all Chromium-based browsers that enable users to easily access and manage their My Vault, Company Vault, and Client Vault credentials.
The cross-browser extension settings are set per user. There is no central control in Passportal to set the cross-browser-extension settings.
- Easily create, edit, view, and search credentials from your favorite modern internet browser
- Quickly log into websites with a single click
- Customizable views
- Access all credentials within Passportal, including those not associated with a website or URL
- Built-in password generator
- Autofill and Autologin
- Match subdomain option
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) supported
- Completely redesigned UI with enhanced usability and performance
- Improved detection of username and password fields
Expand each section below for more details on the Cross-browser Extension:
Installing the Extension
To install the extension for Chrome:
- Visit: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
- Search the Chrome Web Store for SolarWinds Passportal
- Click Add to Chrome
To install the extension for Firefox:
- Visit: https://addons.mozilla.org.
- Search the Firefox Add-ons for: SolarWinds Passportal.
- Select the result for SolarWinds Passportal.
- Click + Add to Firefox
Microsoft Edge (Chromium)
To install the extension for Edge:
- Visit: microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/search/passportal
- Click Get in the Passportal entry
- Read the MS Addon pop-up for Passportal extension and click Add Extension
If you have the previous version of the Passportal browser extension installed, please remove or disable it prior to using the new extension.
After installing the extension, you will need to login:
- Click the Passportal extension icon at the top right of the browser.
- Enter your:
- Email Address
- Organization Key
If using Duo Security as your 2FA authentication method, you will have the option to Send Push as well as enter your code.
Finding Your Credentials
You can find your credentials in 3 different ways within the Passportal browser extension.
Using the Websites Tab
The default Websites tab allows you to easily navigate between credentials stored for the website open on the current tab, any website related credentials in your own vault, or any other credentials associated with websites that you have access to.
Using the Credentials Tab
The Credentials tab will allow you to Sort by Client or Credential Type to easily browse all credentials.
You can use the Search Credentialsfield on either tab to quickly find your credentials.
Adding a Credential
You can easily add new credentials to your any vault or client using the extension. There are two ways to add a new credential:
Using the Add Button
From any tab on the extension, or when selecting the Passportal logo in a username or password field:
- Click the Add button to add a new credential. It will automatically populate the URL so it is available the next time you visit that site.
- The Add Credential screen is displayed. Complete the remaining details for the credential.
- Click Save
Auto-create Credential When Logging In
- When logging into a site where Passportal does not have that particular credential saved, the extension will prompt with a Save Credential? pop-up.
- Click Save here to automatically add this credential to the vault of your choice. You can change this behavior in Settings. Clicking More Details allows you to enter further details to the credential
- Enter the required details and then click Save
Logging into a Website
Using the Launch Option
The Launch option allows you to easily jump directly to a site and log in automatically:
- Select the Passportal extension icon
- Search for and select your desired credential
- Hover over the credential's icon and select Launch
On a website with a saved login, you can click on the Passportal icon in the top right corner to copy usernames/passwords should autofill appear to not work for the site.
Username or Password Field Login
You can also click the Passportal icon that has populated in a username or password field of a website. Passportal will provide credentials you have access to that match your current URL.
- Select the credential you require to populate the fields with the credential details
- If there are no credentials saved for the website, the pop-up will advise this. Click the Add button to add the credential if required
Auto-Login is an option you can enable in Settings. With this setting enabled, the extension will attempt to use the first account it finds with a matching domain/URL and automatically populates the credentials, and logs in.
To access settings:
- Select the Gears at the bottom of the extension
- Select Settings
- The settings options are displayed in the extension. Select the area of settings you require
Displays the Name and Email of the logged in Passportal user.
The following options are available for customizing the extension behavior:
- Auto-Capture Credentials: Ensure prompting to save new credentials
- Autofill: Automatically fill the first matching credential for a website
- Login Upon Selection: Will attempt to log in when a credential is selected
- Instant Login: Will attempt to autofill and login automatically
- Open Websites in: Choose how you would like websites to launch
- Default Tab: Choose which tab should be the default view
- Timeout: The extension will require re-authentication after the timeout period. Choose between 30 minutes and 30 days
Domain Configuration will enable you to toggle how you would like the extension to match domains.
- Match Full Domain: Passportal attempts to match the entire domain, including subdomain, before considering the credential a Match for a particular website
- Match Root Domain: Passportal will match any credentials matching the root, regardless of the subdomain. This is the default option
Syncing with your Passportal Account
The extension will automatically sync any changes you make in your Passportal account every 30 minutes, but you can manually force a synchronization anytime by selecting the Sync icon in the bottom right corner.
The Password Generator can be accessed at any time through the upper right corner of the extension.
To generate a new password:
- Click Password Generator
- The Password Generator options are displayed
- Use the Length slider to select the required password length
- Set the Advanced Options as per the password requirements for required characters and symbols
- Click the Generate Password icon
- Click the Clipboard icon to copy the password if required
- Click Close when finished