Passportal Backup Utility
Users may download the backup utility from the downloads section in Passportal. This will give the ability to easily backup your passwords that are stored on Passportal, as long as you have access to them.
The backup utility can also be run as a scheduled task within windows if you would like to have a periodic backup of your passwords.
- Navigate to the downloads section of Passportal and select the "Passportal Backup Utility for Windows".
- Unzip the file that is downloaded, and run the "setup.exe".
- Once installed you will need to enter the information of an active organization admin. Keep in mind the account used here will be flagged as knowing all password exported via the tool.
- Users can optionally select only 1 client to export. If no client is selected it will extract the passwords for all clients the user has access to.
- Users can optionally enable password protection for the zip file that is extracted for added level of security.
- When you have all relevant fields filled in, clicking on the "export passwords" button will prompt you for a backup location.
- Depending how many passwords you have, this process could take up to 5-10 minutes. Once complete you will find a .csv file with all of the password at the selected backup location.
Running the Backup Utility via Command Line
The password extractor can be executed from the command line on any 64bit windows operating system. An output file will be created in csv format.
To initiate the password extractor from an external service such as task scheduler use the following syntax:
PassportalBackupUtility.exe EMAIL="PassportalEmail" PASSWORD="PassportalPassword" PASSPHRASE="PassportalPassphrase" COUNTRY="Canada or United States" EXTRACTFILEPATH="Path to the output csv file"
PassportalBackupUtility.exe EMAIL="PassportalEmail" PASSWORD="PassportalPassword" PASSPHRASE="PassportalPassphrase" COUNTRY="Canada or United States" EXTRACTFILEPATH="Path to the output csv file" CLIENTNAME="Passportal clientname" ZIPFILEPASSWORD="Password to encrypt zip file"
The following describes each of the parameters in detail:
- EMAIL=Passportal user account - must have the organization admin permission
- PASSWORD=Passportal account password
- PASSPHRASE=Passportal passphrase
- COUNTRY=Canada or United States (exactly as written here)
- EXTRACTFILEPATH=Path to the output csv file e.g. "C:\Data\Passportal\PasswordDump.csv"
- --Optional Parameters--
- CLIENTNAME=Passportal clientname
- ZIPFILEPASSWORD=Output file zips the CSV file and encrypts with this password