Adding Domains and Mailboxes via Office 365 sync
- Log in as an Admin or Domain level user, using the Login with SolarWinds Single Sign-On (SSO) button:
- Click on the Try the new beta interface link at the top right of the page.
- Using the side menu on the left of the page, navigate to General > Domains Overview.
- Once on the Domains Overview page, select Configure Office 365 Sync (Beta) which can be found just below the page description.
- You will now be taken to the Configure Office 365 Sync wizard.Click Connect on the wizard .
- Log in to your Office 365 Global Administrator account.
- Now accept the permissions for the Mail Assure Office 365 sync. This initial connection is to allow the wizard to collect the domain and mailbox information.
- You will again need to select the same Global Administrator account you used in step #7. This secondary connection allows the scheduled synchronization to run.
- Once you see the wizard has connected, click Next.
- Select the domain(s) you wish to configure through the Office 365 sync and choose the frequency of the synchronization by using the Mailbox Synchronization Frequency dropdown in the right of the wizard.
Information on this can be found on the Setup SolarWinds Single Sign-On page.
Ensure your browser is configured to allow pop-ups from Mail Assure before clicking on Connect in the wizard as you will need to authenticate to Office 365 twice via pop-up windows for security purposes.
If you check Mail Assure at this time, you will see that Microsoft is processing the connection with a page that looks like the below:
The times you may choose from are:
- Every 4 hours (this is the default)
- Every 12 hours
- Every day
- Every week
The mailbox type can be Distribution list, Shared Mailbox or Regular.
Please note: if you wish to select all items on a page, tick the select all checkbox to the top left of the mailbox names. If you wish to select all mailboxes on all pages, click the arrow beside this and click Select all items on all pages.
In here you can:
- Enable or disable Incoming Filtering of mail (enabled by default).
- Enable or disable Outgoing Filtering of mail (enabled by default).
- Enable or disable Email Archiving (enabled by default).
- Enable or disable Automatic Email Scout Reports (ESR) (enabled by default).
- Allow or disallow SSO logins for the email users created when mailbox(es) is added (enabled by default).
- Configure the timezone used by the mailbox(es).
- Configure the date format used by the mailbox(es).
- Configure the time format used by the mailbox(es).
- Select if you want the same configuration applied to all future synchronized mailboxes by ticking the checkbox at the bottom of this page.
If you leave this unticked, future mailboxes will be added using the default settings that can be found in Mailboxes Configuration.
If any changes are required, you can jump back to the part of the wizard required by either clicking the breadcrumbs along the top of the screen, or Edit beside the specific section.
Once the wizard is closed, the Domains Overview page will refresh and you will see the domains added during the Office 365 sync now showing in your list.
When checking the Mailboxes list from Mailboxes Overview, you will find all Office 365 mailboxes. The mailboxes that were selected during sync will show the selected services are enabled. Any that was not selected through the sync will show the services set to No.
If you make changes to mailboxes in Mail Assure without using the Office 365 sync, other than adding or removing filtering or archiving services, these changes will be reverted to match what you have set up in the Office 365 sync.
After completing the above configuration, you will need to apply several further changes outwith the Office 365 sync both in and outside of Mail Assure in order to ensure that mail filtering and archiving (where applicable) are configured correctly. Please see our Next Steps section for these details.