Product management in Backup Management Console
In the Console, a product refers to a service package based on a combination of features and storage options.
You can use products in many ways. Here are some typical examples.
- As real-world products that your clients actually sell or subscribe to (e.g. "Windows Files & Folders w/100 GB Storage & 30-day Retention" or "Database Backup, Unlimited Storage").
- As internal system administration tools to differentiate feature access across devices. It helps prevent the accidental inclusion of unnecessary files (especially large ones) into a backup selection or an unwanted restore that would overwrite the current files on a user's computer. Examples of such products: "MS Sharepoint backup, scripts & selection off" or "Full system state backup w/o restore".
- As a temporary measure to limit access to the service (for example, in case of an overdue payment).
Each time you add a device, you need to assign a product to it. This can be a pre-defined product such as All-In or, you can create custom products based on your requirements.
Our All-in product has all features enabled, all storage options set to "Unlimited" and a retention period of 28 days and 3 file versions.
Creating custom products
Here is how to create a custom product:
- In the vertical menu, click Product management.
- Select the customer to create the product for.
- Click Add product.
- Fill out the fields and click Add.
Custom product options
The following options are available when adding or editing a custom product. Place a tick the box to allow the product feature.
Allows scheduled backups (if disabled, only manual backups are available).
Mark set backup sessions as archive points so they are not cleared after the retention period expires. For information on configuring the retention period, see History Limits below.
|Bare metal recovery||Enable and perform a bare metal recovery.|
Sets the device to a mode where the restore options on the device are no longer available.
|Pre- and post-backup actions||Allows script execution to run before and/or after backups. These scripts run once per backup source.|
Mark critical files and folders as high priority. Backup and restores perform those of high priority items first.
Allows connection through a proxy server. We support HTTP, SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 proxies.
Sets the device to a mode where the backup options on the device are no longer available.
|Virtual disaster recovery||Enable and perform a virtual disaster recovery.|
Use the Virtual Drive utility to browse backups like a file system and access data faster.
|Allow filters||Exclude the specific file types from backups.|
Apply branding to the Backup Management Console. Branding is configured in the Backup & Disaster Recovery Console. You can remove references to the developer, enter a custom name, logo, color scheme and icons.
|Search in restore||Filter the data available for recovery.|
|Settings||Enable the Preferences menu in the Backup Management Console.|
|Bandwidth throttling||Limit the bandwidth used by the Backup Management Console during the specified time periods.|
|LocalSpeedVault||Allows enabling of the LocalSpeedVault.|
Set the upper bandwidth limit (cap) for a device.
Configure the backup retention period. Select the number of versions of a file to keep, period and unit of measurement (days or backup sessions).
By default we store backups for 3 file versions and 28 days.
We will store any backup sessions marked as archives until a user deletes the session.
Select the preferred retention unit of measurement per data source (days or backup sessions).
|History Limits/Per data source||
The number of days or sessions to keep based on the preferred unit selected (leaving this as unlimited means everything is kept) .
|Backup users rights||Allows restoring data with the same permissions as were used during the backup.|
|Remote Management||Permit remote access and management through the Backup Management Console.|
|Maximum file size||
Set the threshold for the maximum size of a single file in the backups.
|Maximum selection size (data source)||Set the threshold for the maximum number of selected files per data source.|
|Maximum selection size (total)||Set the threshold for the maximum number of selected files per backup job.|
|Maximum used storage||Set the threshold for the maximum storage amount allocated for backups from a device.|
To edit an existing product, do the following:
- In the Customers filter, select the customer that owns the product.
- In the Products list, select the product you want to change.
- Edit the options on the right.
The devices to which this product is assigned will be updated within the next 15 minutes.
If reducing the History Limits (retention period) of a product when editing it, all data that is no longer within this retention period will be removed during the cleaning phase of the next backup unless the session is marked as an archive point.
You can only edit products created by your own company and your customers. All other products are locked.
To rename a product, do the following:
- Point the cursor to its name and click the pen icon.
- Edit the name as needed and click Save.
If you no longer need a product, you can remove it in the following way:
- Point the cursor to the name of a product.
- Click the Remove icon.
- Confirm your intention to remove the product.
If you remove a product from a device which gave the device a longer retention period than the default 28 days and 3 file versions, all data that is no longer within the retention period will be removed during the cleaning phase of the next backup unless the session is marked as an archive point.
You can only remove products that are not assigned to any devices.