Customer management in Backup Management Console
A customer in the Console is a general term for a company that provides, sells or consumes backup services.
- If you are a service provider, customers are your clients.
- If you are a system administrator, customers are groups or departments within your own company. Treat customers as a way to organize backup devices and control storage usage.
Prior to December 2017, customers were referred to as "partners".
When you open the Customer management module in the Console, you will find your own company at the root level. Your customers are displayed below.
To view or manage devices belonging to a certain customer, go to Device Management and select the customer in the Customer list.
Types of customers
Customers are organized in a hierarchy with Distributor at the top level.
Access to some modules in the Backup Management Console is based on the type of customer. See the table below for the details.
|Module or feature||Distributor||Sub-distributor||Reseller||End-customer|
|Automatic deployment and generating passphrases (in Device management module)||Unavailable||Available|
|Device management (all features except for automatic deployment and generating passphrases)|
Access to features within a module may require a certain user account type (learn more).
To add a new customer to the system, do the following:
- In the vertical menu, click Customer management.
- Click the Add customer button.
- Fill out the fields:
- Name - The name of the customer as you want it to show on the dashboard
- Service type (for customer) - Use the dropdown to select either All-Inclusive or Software-Only.
See our Storage management guide for more information on the service types.
- Device country - Use the dropdown to select the country the devices will be located
- Data storage location - If you have selected a country where we host storage, this will be automatically selected in the Data Storage Location dropdown and you will be unable to change it. However, if you have selected a country where we do not have storage, use the dropdown to select your preferred storage location
- In trial - If you would like to add the customer as a trial for 30 days, tick this box.
- Click Save.
You must assign the country at the time of customer creation. Changing the country for existing customers has no influence on the storage location.
Please note: Once the storage location has been selected, you will not be able to change this yourself and must contact support if you wish to change this.
Further steps you can take:
- Give the customer access to the Console. For this purpose you need to create user accounts for people (or teams) from the customer company. You can create all necessary accounts yourself or create one administrator account and let in-house administrators create the rest.
- Give the customer access to the backup and recovery service. You need devices for this purpose. You may add these yourself or an administrator from the customer company can do this through the Device Management module.
To make sure the customer has the desired storage location assigned, add a test device for this customer and check the country in the Storage location column. If you do not see the column, you will need to add it to the view
Local data centers are not available for every country, so your selection could route your data to a different region. Consult your dedicated account manager for the current listing of regional data centers. New data center availability and the associated routing are subject to change without notice.
- United States
- United Kingdom
- The Netherlands
- South Africa
You can remove only those customers that do not have any devices and customers of their own.
- Point your mouse to the name of a customer.
- Click the trashcan icon that appears next to the name.
- Confirm your intention to proceed with the removal.
To access customer editing options, point your mouse to the name of a customer and click the pen icon that appears next to the name.
You can change the settings that you configured when creating the customer and access some more settings.
- Rename the customer. Please keep in mind that customer names are sometimes required for authorization. So users from the customer company will need to update their access credentials for the Cloud.
- Change the customer’s properties (parent customer, level, service type).
- Fill out the company profile (address, website and billing info).
- Add the names of people to contact and their contact details.
- Register past and upcoming communication activities with the customer company in the Notes tab. These notes can be edited by clicking the pencil icon to the right, or deleted by clicking the trashcan icon.
- Customize branding. Brand the backup software with your company name, logo, color scheme and icons and change the email address used for automated reports and notifications. By default the address used is email@example.com.
When editing a Reseller level customer, you will see a few further areas in the General tab.
The most common one in here is to enable Automatic Deployment on Windows devices. This feature allows unattended installation of the Backup Manager through the command line on Windows device. For more information see Automatic deployment of the Backup Manager.