Archiving backup sessions in Backup Manager
As you regularly back up your data using the Backup Manager, a series of backup sessions accumulates in the cloud. After a certain period, older sessions are cleaned to free storage space. The duration of this period is measured in backup sessions or days (depending on your product settings). If needed, you can keep selected backup sessions in the storage after their retention period expires. Such sessions will not be deleted (unless you choose so). The feature is called archiving. A reverse process is called archiving session cleanup.
If data is deselected in the backup selection, any version of this data stored in an Archive session will not be affected and so will be kept until a clean is done of the archive sessions.
To archive a backup session, you need to create an archiving task (Preferences > Archiving). The task will apply to the nearest backup session that starts after it.
- Note that completed backup sessions cannot be archived.
- This can be a one-time task or a repetitive one.
- There can be only one archiving task for each data source per day (it is not possible to archive data belonging to the same data source several times a day).
You can easily change the task after it has been created. To do it, click on the name of the task. It will expand the settings and you will be able to start editing.
In case an archiving task is not needed anymore, you can delete it. This will not make any difference to the backup sessions that have been archived through this task.
Recovering archived backup sessions
Data from archived sessions is recovered is the same way as from regular backup sessions. You will only notice that archived sessions have a special mark (A) in the Session time list.
Cleaning up unneeded archiving sessions
If you no longer want to keep an archived session in the storage, you can clean it up. The (A) mark gets removed from the session. Then the session is cleared from the storage and is no longer available for recovery.
- Go to Preferences > Archiving.
- Click Cleanup. (You will see the list of all archived sessions that have passed their retention periods).
- Select the sessions to clean up.
- Click the Cleanup button at the bottom.
- Confirm your intention to clean up the selected sessions.
The action cannot be undone. Once a session has been cleaned up, there is no way to get its contents back.