Backup profiles in Backup Management Console
Backup profiles let system administrators configure backup settings for multiple devices as one.
Backup profiles are available to the following types of groups: distributors, sub-distributorsresellers and end-customers.
Support for profiles is supported for Windows, macOS and Linux backup devices
Once a backup profile has been created, it cannot be moved to another partner. Profiles created at the reseller level can be applied to end-customers underneath this reseller, but profiles created at end-customer levels cannot be applied to other end customers or resellers.
When a profile is assigned to a device, the Performance tab of the Backup Manager GUI will no longer show the Abort backups and do not start backups when limited time frame is reached for these backup data sources option.
Pre- and post-backup scripts are not compatible with backup profiles, so once a profile is assigned to a device, the Scripts tab under Preferences will not be displayed.
Profiles are similar to products but they are more specific. Unlike products, backup profiles are optional.
Permissions configured through the backup profiles are added up to the product permissions. To be available on a device, a setting must be activated both in the product and in the profile.
- Log in to the Console as a SuperUser.
- Select Backup profiles from the vertical menu.
- Click Add profile.
- Assign a name to the profile and specify the name of the customer the profile will be available to.
- Click Add.
Tip: Create a separate backup profile for each operating system.
Next, select a backup policy for each data source and configure the settings that apply.
There are 3 backup policies altogether:
- Backup - a force backup policy (overwrites local settings). It covers both the backup schedule and the backup selection. It is unavailable for data sources that require access credentials (such as Oracle or Network shares).
- No backup - excludes a data source from backup, even if it is included in the backup selection locally.
- Keep local settings. This is a mixed option using which the backup schedule is configured through the profile while the backup selection is configured locally.
The selection of scheduling options varies depending on the data source (see the table below for details).
|Data source||Frequency options||start time||Do not start backups during working hours|
|All (full automatic backup) and other separate data sources||Every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1, 2 or 4 hours||Unavailable||Available|
|Every 6 or 12 hours||Available||Available|
|Every 24 hours||Available||Unavailable|
Prior to the 18.4 release, backup schedules configured through the profiles ran on a certain day/time basis. Those older schedules were automatically converted to the new frequency-based format, which allows to run backups more frequently and make sure all file changes are protected.
LocalSpeedVault settings in backup profiles
To prevent data loss caused by the profile applying the incorrect LocalSpeedVault credentials when not fully synchronized, LocalSpeedVault settings can no longer be applied in a profile.
The profile must be disabled before configuration of the LocalSpeedVault can be applied.
- Disable device profile
- In Backup & Recovery Web Console, select device checkbox in the dashboard > Assign Profile > Choose no profile.
- Restart Backup Service Controller on affected device to apply the changes
- Launch the Backup Manager and change the LocalSpeedVault details to the correct location and save
- Re-apply the profile
- In Backup & Recovery Web Console, select the device checkbox in the dashboard > Assign Profile > Choose the profile you removed in step 1
Alternatively, wait 15 minutes and the changes will be applied automatically
Once the LocalSpeedVault is fully synchronized, further changes can be made from the profile
When the profile is ready, you can assign it to devices:
- In the Device Management module, select the devices to assign the profile to.
- Click Assign on the toolbar, then Backup Profile.
- Select the profile from the list. Click Save.
- (optional) Add the Profile column to the view (to see the profiles assigned to each device).
You can edit, rename and delete existing profiles. Only those profiles that are not assigned to any devices can be deleted.