Recommended Backup Manager installer for GNU/Linux
The most convenient way to install the Backup Manager on a GNU/Linux system is using the RUN installer.
The RUN installer comes in 2 versions. Ensure you use the correct one for the system:
- i386 – for 32-bit systems
- amd64 – for 64-bit systems
If unsure which installer version you need, check the bitness of your system first:
# uname -a
x86_64 in output means that you have a 64-bit system
i686 in output means that you have a 32-bit system
If your device is a 64-bit system, replace
i686 in the below installation steps with
- Log in to the system as a root.
- Download the RUN installer suitable for your distribution.
# wget http://cdndl.maxfocus.com/maxdownloads/mxb-linux-i686.run
- Grant the installer execute permissions.
# chmod +x mxb-linux-i686.run
- Change the predefined installation folder (optional). You can find a list of available parameters for installation here. By default, the Backup Manager is installed to
/opt/MXB. If you wish to install the software to the
/usrmount (for example because it has more free space), you should create symlinks for it. For example:
# ln -s /usr/local/MXB /opt/MXB
- Start the installer and submit your installation parameters. Do not forget to enclose values containing spaces or punctuation into quotation marks. If you submit the command without the installation parameters, you will be prompted to enter them one at a time.
# ./mxb-linux-i686.run --
--user="ubuntu-admin" --password="dg224hs-0091" --encryption-key="SECUR_ITY2014a" --use-proxy=false
-- attribute after the command name means that the parameters after it are specific to the Backup Manager. If your query contains a combination of parameters, use
-- to separate the internal parameters of the RUN package from external ones belonging to the Backup Manager. Here is an example:
# ./mxb-linux-i686.run --target /other/tmp -- --user="ubuntu-admin"
Possible permission error
The installer is extracted to your
temp partition. If the partition is mounted with the
noexec option, you can get a permission error. To eliminate the error, you should extract the installer to some other directory that has execute permissions.
# ./mxb-linux-i686.run --target /other/tmp
If you want to install the device in restore-only mode on linux, follow