Automatic deployment of the Backup Manager
System administrators can quickly install the Backup Manager on multiple machines using a feature called automatic deployment. It automates the operations for device creation, installation and – optionally – setup.
A single executable file is good for an unlimited number of installations for the specified customer
Automatic Deployment is available on Windows, MacOS and Linux operating systems
Silent installation vs. automatic deployment
Two installation methods available are:
- Automatic deployment – lets you install multiple devices simultaneously
- Silent installation – lets you install one device at a time (just like the setup wizard)
Please see the table below for the differences between these options.
|Automatic deployment||Silent installation|
All Windows, macOS and Linux on which Backup Manager works (full list)
|All Windows, macOS and Linux on which Backup Manager works (full list)|
|Feature availability||Only resellers and end-customers||All types of groups|
|Number of installations||Multiple devices simultaneously||One device at a time|
|Details required for installation||
Installation command (generated automatically)
- A SuperUser account is required at the reseller or end-customer level.
Please request assistance from your service provider if your access permissions are insufficient.
- The Automatic Deployment option should be enabled at the customer level.
See Customer management in Backup Management Console for further details.
Adding devices for automatic deployment
- Log in to the Console under a SuperUser account belonging to a reseller or end-customer.
- Click Add
- Set the type of backup to Servers or Workstations.
- Select the group the device is for from the dropdown. You can also add a new group by clicking + Add new Customer.
Once a customer with Automatic Deployment enabled has been selected, the options for Automatic Deployment installation will appear.
- Select the operating system
- Then set the installation method to Automatic deployment > Backup Professional.
- Select a
backup profileto configure backups automatically (optional).
- Click Next - The page will now show you the installation instructions
- Download the installation package from the download link and the installation package name.
- Click Finish
- Run the Installation package on the device where the backup is required
A new window will appear titled Add Server or Workstation
Do not change the installation package name from the one provided on your dialog. This is because the package name is a unique identifier for the specific customer and doing so would stop the installation from functioning appropriately.
Ways to run the installation package:
- Double-click on the installer executable
- Submit the name of the installer to a terminal emulator or a software distribution system. For example:
Please note, the installer name will be specific to you.
On Windows devices you can run the installation command as-is or, optionally, you can add additional parameters to it if required.
||This flag activates the automatic deployment feature. It also prevents the Backup Manager from starting automatically after the installation.||N/A (enter the parameter as is)|
This is a unique ID generated for the partner (required for authorization).
You can regenerate the UID as often as necessary. This will not affect any of the previous installations.
|Text (copied from the management console)|
||This is the parameter used instead of
||Text (copied from the management console)|
Proxy settings (optional)
||This setting prompts the Backup Manager to connect to the Internet through a proxy server.||
||The type of the proxy server||
||The host name or IP address of the proxy server||IP address or host name, for example
||The port number of the proxy server||Number (0 by default)|
||Prompts the Backup Manager that the proxy requires authorization by username.||
||A username for access to the proxy server||Text, for example
||A password for access to the proxy server||Text|
Misc. optional parameters
||The name of the backup profile you want to assign to the new device(s). This setting lets you configure devices for backup during installation.||Text|
The ID of the backup profile you want to assign to the new device(s). To use the parameter, you need Backup Manager installer version 17.4 or later.
Profile IDs are generated automatically when the automatic deployment is enabled. You can use the profile ID and profile name interchangeably.
|Number (copied from the management console)|
The name of the product to assign to the new device(s).
To use the parameter, you need Backup Manager installer version 17.4 or later.
|Text (copied from the Console)|
||The ID of the storage pool used for the device(s).||Number (automatically inserted during the executable creation)|