Add a task to install software onto devices. This enables you to have SolarWinds N-central download and launch software to ensure all devices have a specific or common set of software. Third party software must use InstallShield, MSI, or Wise installers. SolarWinds N-central can access the install software from its repository, your local computer or a network share.
File names for installers or scripts cannot contain spaces.
SolarWinds N-central will not verify if the files to be installed are harmful to the target devices. Test any third party software before associating them with a scheduled task.
This procedure can only be performed at the Service Organization level or Customer level.
- Click Configuration > Scheduled Tasks > Add/Delete.
- Click Add > Push Third Party Software.
- Enter a Task Name.
- Select the Credentials used to push third party software.
- Select the Location of the software, locate or select the install files and enter any additional parameter required to use during the installation.
- Click the Task Handler tab and select how SolarWinds N-central manages the task using probes and agents.
- Click the Targets tab and either select specific devices that will receive the software, or use the filters to target a group of devices.
- Click the Schedule tab and set a time when SolarWinds N-central runs the task.
- In the Missed Executions options configure how far in the future SolarWinds N-central should take action on a device that is currently offline, and how long it should wait, once the device powers on, before running the scheduled task.
Command line parameters for MSI installers must be in the format of:
<filename> </i or /u> </additional parameters>. For example,
MyInstaller.msi /i /qn. The following examples are invalid:
MyInstaller.msi /qn or
/i MyInstaller.msi /qn.
SolarWinds N-central by default includes the
msiexec.exe/i parameter, so you do not need to include it in field, only the additional parameters.
- On a recurring task, you can also set the task not to run the scheduled task if the next occurrence of the task will be launched near the time of the recurring schedule, to avoid conflicting task windows.
The scheduled task is saved to the repository. SolarWinds N-central runs the task at the configured time. When complete, and if configured to do so, SolarWinds N-central sends a notification to the selected recipients in the format defined by their user profile.
If you choose to edit the task, the edits may not be applied to the task if it has been initiated. Edits are applied to completed tasks only if they are recurring tasks.
- SolarWinds N-central does not verify syntax and command line parameters of scripts or MSI/EXE installers to ensure that they are correct. You must validate scripts and MSI/EXE installers before using them in scheduled tasks to ensure that they will function properly.
Command line parameters for MSI installers must be in the format of: <filename> </i or /u> </additional parameters>. For example, MyInstaller.msi /i /qn. The following examples are invalid: MyInstaller.msi /qn or /i MyInstaller.msi /qn.
- If the installation of software requires user input, it must be specified in the Command Line Parameters field when the task is created.
- If restarting your computer is required after the installation of software, you must do this manually or specify it in a script.
- SolarWinds N-central provides a combined total of 500 MB of storage for the script and software repositories.