Step One: Backing Up the N-central Server
Before you upgrade, ensure that you back up the N-central Server should the upgrade fail. Back up the server to a destination FTP server or, if N-central has been installed as a guest on an ESX or Hyper-V server, record a snapshot of the guest.
- In the navigation pane, click Administration > System Backup and Restore > Configure Backups.
- In the Configure Backups screen, configure the backup properties.
- Click Save and Run Backup.
During the backup, SolarWinds N-central creates a backup file and a backup digest file. The backup file contains all of the information needed to restore the system. The SHA1 file contains a SHA1 checksum of the backup file and verifies that the backup file is not corrupted. For example, it considers the backup file corrupt if any changes have been made to the backup file.
- Wait for the system to send you a notification informing you of the backup success or failure.
If the backup failed and the error cannot be corrected, contact SolarWinds MSP Technical Support.
If the backup succeeded and you did not configure it to be uploaded to an FTP server, manually download the backup image from the SolarWinds N-central server to a safe location by performing the following:
- In the navigation pane, click Administration > System Backup and Restore > Download Backups.
- Click Download Backup beside the name of the backup file that you would like to download.
- When prompted by the browser, save the backup file to the location you would like to use for storing backup files.
- If required, click Download Digest beside the name of the backup file for which you would like to download the digest file.
- When prompted by the browser, save the digest file to the location you would like to use for storing backup files.
The downloaded files can now be used to restore the database.