Enable patch management with a rule
Create a rule to enable patch management on a device. A rule ensures that as new devices are discovered and added, the patch management feature of SolarWinds N-central is enabled automatically.
You can also use the Patch Setup Wizard to guide you through the creation of the rule.
- Click Configuration > Monitoring > Rules.
- Click Add and enter a name and description for the rule.
- In the Devices to Target tab, select the Filter that targets a grouping of device types.
- Click the Network Device Configuration Options tab and click Patch Management.
- In the Action drop-down list, click Enable Patch Management and select the appropriate profile.
- Click the Maintenance Windows tab.
- Click Add > Patch management and configure the maintenance windows for discovery, downloading, installing and rebooting.
- Click the Grant Customers & Site Access tab to deploy the rule to customer sites. To propagate the rule to all newly added customer sites and devices, select Propagate to all new customers/sitesfrom the drop-down list.
- Click Save.
SolarWinds N-central saves the rule and when a new device is discovered and added, it runs the rule to enable patch management on the device.