Create a WMI-based custom monitoring service
If you need to access performance or asset information not retrieved by an existing SolarWinds N-central monitoring service, create a WMI-based custom service. With a custom service you can tailor it to the specific information you need to know.
Creating WMI-based services requires knowledge of the WMI protocol. Refer to the Microsoft Developers' Network online library documentation about WMI for further information.
The following gives a very simple example which checks that the Browser service is started and retrieves information about it.
- Click Administration > Service Management > Custom Services.
- Click Add > Service > WMI (Window Workstations and Windows Servers).
- Enter a Name and Description.
- Click the Queries tab, and click Add.
- Complete the information, using the blue plus button to add Select and Where properties. Double-click the elements to change their values.
- Click Save.
- Click the Data and Thresholds tab, click Add Metric and configure how SolarWinds N-central handles the information.
- Click Save.
- Click on Configure Thresholds for the metric in the Action column.
- Enter the ranges that define Normal, Warning and Failed states for this metric.
- Click Save then Save again.
The new service appears in the Custom Services list. You can now add this service to a template or to any Windows server or workstation. For information on applying the custom service, see Apply custom monitoring services.