Set up RAID monitoring
Configure SolarWinds N-central to monitor the RAID configuration on a server. Setting up this monitoring type involves setting up the SNMP service on the RAID server, then configuring SolarWinds N-central.
Set up the RAID server
Ensure management software is installed on the server.
- RDP/Direct Connect to the server to be monitored.
- Goo to
SERVICES.MSC, and locate the SNMP service.
- Open the SNMP service properties, and ensure it is set to accept Any host, and the Read-Only community is public or whatever name you are using in SolarWinds N-central.
- Restart the SNMP service.
If the SNMP service is missing, you must add it and reboot the server.
Configure monitoring in SolarWinds N-central
- Click Actions > Run a Discovery and enter the server's IP address.
- Click the SNMP Settings tab and select the profile. Ensure your SNMP community string matches what was set above.
- Click Finish.
- Click Views > All Devices, click the name of the device and click Add Task > Update Asset Info .
- Click Monitoring > Service Template tab and reapply the HP/Dell Servers template. This adds the RAID status and Physical Drive status.
SolarWinds N-central begins searching for servers with the specified IP address(es).
If this is an HP device, and things are still not working, you may need to reinstall HP Insight Manager and repeat this process.
Dell RAID device troubleshooting
If you have problems with RAID monitoring on a Dell device, this maybe because the RAID card does not use a battery, and the service is looking for one. To correct this, switch the default RAID Status (Dell) service for the Dell – Raid (No battery) service.
- Go to the N-able Resource Center Custom Monitoring page.
- Download the RAID Status (Dell) - No Battery service by right-click on the file name.
- In SolarWinds N-central, click Administration > Service Management > Custom Services, and click Import.
- Browse to the location of the file you downloaded on the previous step, and click Import Custom Service.
- Click Views > All Devices and click on the device name.
- Click Monitoring > Status tab, and click Add and add one instance of the uploaded service to the device.
- Click Apply.
- Click on the original RAID service in the services list and copy the name of the Raid Controller, found on the Service Details tab.
- Click on the replacement RAID service and paste the name of the Raid Controller on the Service Details tab.
- Delete the original RAID service and click Refresh
The services will begin to pull new data.