Install the Take Control viewer
The Take Control viewer needs to be installed on the remote device to enable you to connect to it. Once installed, you can connect to the device and perform a number of tasks to monitor the device and correct any issues in real time.
The installation process occurs on the first instance of use of the Take Control connection to a device.
- Click Views > All Devices.
- Click the name of the device .
- Click Remote Control in the upper-right corner of the window and click Take Control.
- Download and run the installer, and install the Viewer.
- After the installation is complete, Launch the viewer.
A request to the newly installed protocol handler is passed to the browser. For future support sessions, Take Control establishes an immediate connection.
Depending on the browser you are using, you must accept the request in a pop-up window or dialog box to proceed.
If a device's agent is offline or not communicating with SolarWinds N-central, the option to remote control the device using Take Control will still be available. The Take Control agent and SolarWinds N-central agent services run independently of one another. This enables you to perform remote maintenance if needed even if the agent is not online.
Specify proxy settings during installation
When installing the Take Control viewer, you can configure proxy settings.
- Navigate to your Take Control download folder.
- Shift + Right-click the folder and click Open Powershell window here.
- Run the installer with the following parameters:
/S /R /MSPID <MSPID> /proxy 192.168.0.1 /proxyport 3128 /proxyusername firstname.lastname@example.org /proxypasswd <password>
You can obtain the MSPID from the
BASupSrvc.ini file located on a device that already has Take Control installed.