Knowledge Base Article #:
May 1, 2020
The following instructions describe how to configure an ESXi Host server so that it can be properly monitored by SolarWinds N-central. For additional questions, please refer to SolarWinds MSP Technical Support.
- Connect to the ESXi Host server using vSphere Client.
- Click Home.
- Click Roles.
- Click Administration > Role > Add.
- Type a Name for the new Role (for example, Monitor).
- Under All Privileges, expand Host.
- Select CIM.
The CIM property allows for interaction with the CIM components of ESX.
- Click OK.
- Click Home > Inventory > Local Users & Groups.
- Right-click Users.
- Select Add.
- Create a new user account using the credentials that will be needed to access SolarWinds N-central.
- Add the new user account to the root group.
- Click Home > Inventory > Permissions.
- Right-click in the Permissions tab.
- Select Add Permission.
- Add the new account that you created in Create a new user account using the credentials that will be needed to access SolarWinds N-central. to the Users and Groups list.
- Assign the Role that you created in Click Administration > Role > Add. to the account.
- The new account and the Role assigned to it should now be displayed in the Permissions tab.
It is strongly recommended that you review the CIM settings before disconnecting from the ESXi host server. You should verify that the settings are enabled or have been configured with the appropriate properties.