Professional and Essential licenses
You can add devices to the SolarWinds N-central server in either Professional or Essential license mode. Professional Mode devices can use all of the SolarWinds N-central monitoring and management features and will count towards your device licensing limit. The licensing mode of a device is assigned when the device is first added to SolarWinds N-central. You can modify this later by editing the device's properties.
To purchase licenses for SolarWinds N-central features, contact SolarWinds MSP sales. For more information on a sales office near you, visit https://www.solarwindsmsp.com/contact/global.
Based on licensing arrangements, there are two types of Professional Mode device licenses: Per Device Class and Per Individual Device.
Per Individual Device licenses are designed for when you are using SolarWinds N-central to manage your own organization's internal infrastructure. These licenses allocate a single Professional Mode device license for each individual device.
Per Device Class licenses are designed for when you are using SolarWinds N-central to deliver IT services to your customers. These licenses are divided into three sub-types:
- Professional Mode Workstations - For devices of the Workstation - Windows, Workstation - OS X, Workstation - Generic or Laptop - Windows class.
- Professional Mode Network Devices - For devices of the Switch/Router, Storage, Scanner/Camera, Printer, or Other class.
- Professional Mode Servers - For devices of the Server - Windows, Server - Generic, Server - ESXi or Custom Device class.
Essential mode license limits
The Essential mode license provides robust options. Some services have limited scan times as outlined in the table below.
|Service Name||Minimum Scan Interval|
|AV Status service||4 hours|
|Agent Status service||15 minutes|
|CPU service (local API, SNMP, WMI)||4 hours|
|Connectivity service||15 minutes|
|DNS service||15 minutes|
|Disk (Local API, SNMP, WMI) service||4 hours|
|TCP Port Availability service||15 minutes|
|Memory service (Local API, SNMP, WMI)||4 hours|
|Printer Conf Changes service||15 minutes|
|Printer Cover Status service||15 minutes|
|Printer Display service||15 minutes|
|Printer Page Count service||15 minutes|
|Paper Supply Level service||15 minutes|
|Printer Status service||15 minutes|
|Printer Toner Level service||15 minutes|
|SMTP service||15 minutes|
Also note the following:
- The only Automation Manager policies that may be run are List Top CPU-MEM Processes and Software Inventory.
- Remote Control is only available on Professional licenses.
- Patch management is only available on Professional licenses.
- Backup Exec, SNMP, and EDF monitoring are not available.
- Power Control and System Change management are not available.
- Custom services are not available.
- The device may not be used in any Scheduled Tasks.
The restriction on Scheduled Tasks is not enforced if managed services (for example, those related to AV Defender) are applied to Essential Mode devices in which case, Scheduled Tasks related to those services may be run on the device.
Changing license modes
When a service template is associated with a device that has been configured in Essential Mode, any services that are classified as Professional services will not be applied. If the device is then changed from Essential Mode to Professional Mode, SolarWinds N-central will automatically re-apply service templates so that any services that had been omitted because they are classified as Professional services will be applied.
Licenses will be used for a minimum period of 15 days. If a device’s license usage is modified, the original license usage will continue to be in effect until the 15-day minimum period has ended.
The table below outlines the differences between the two license options.
|Task Management||Task Management|
|Reporting Remote control options||Reporting Remote control options|