Deploy SolarWinds N-central agents through Kaseya
This procedure describes the process for migrating remote networks from Kaseya to SolarWinds N-central, using the
KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.exe tool. This is deployed through Kaseya, and when executed on a Windows device will stop the Kaseya Security Service, download and install a SolarWinds N-central Windows agent.
This tool is subject to environmental variables and should be tested before mass deployment. Sometimes security software, security settings and/or network firewall settings may prevent successful deployment, and remote access may be required to recover orphaned devices.
Make sure you have created the customers that you want to migrate remote networks (see Add a new customer) or imported them from Kaseya (see Duplicate customer lists from Kaseya. It is best practice to give the customers exactly the same name in SolarWinds N-central as in Kaseya to allow integration with certain PSAs.
You will need to have the Access Codes for these customers. These can be found in SolarWinds N-central from the Service Organization level by clicking Administration > Customer/Sites.
Download and unzip
KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.exe from the SolarWinds MSP Resource Center at https://community.solarwindsmsp.com/Community/Scripts-Automation-Policies.
Create the Kaseya agent
- Sign-in to Kaseya, and select Agent Procedures from the left menu.
- Below Installer Wizards, click Application Deploy.
- Ensure the Send the installer from the KServer option is selected, and click the here link at the end of the option to upload
- In the pop-up window, click Private files, then click Upload a file.
- In the new pop-up window, click
KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.exe, then click Open.
- Close this pop-up window, and click Next.
- From the Select the install package to send to the remote machine drop-down menu, click (Priv) KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.exe.
- From the What kind of installer is this? drop-down menu, click Other.
- In the Specify command line box, enter your SolarWinds N-central Server URL and Customer Access Code in the following format:
- Click Next.
- Label the Agent Procedure
- Click Create.
where <CUST_NAME> is the customer name associated with the Customer Access Code specified above. Do not choose to reboot the machine after installing the application.
Recommended Kaseya agent procedure modifications
It is best practice to eliminating the use of environment variables, as described below. This has been found to yield higher migration successes.
- Click Private > My Procedures and double-click <CUST_NAME> KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.
- Select the second step, Write file...
- In the Setup Options in the right pane, enter
c:\KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.exein the Enter the full path and file name box
- Click Save.
- Select the third step, Execute #agentDrv#temp .....
c:\KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.exein the Enter the full path and file name field.
- Click Save and Close.
You should deploy the KaseyaMigrationandRemoval Agent Procedure to a single device within a remote environment to verify:
- The Kaseya Agent associated to the device goes offline
- The device is created within SolarWinds N-central
If satisfied with testing, you may proceed with executing the KaseyaMigrationandRemoval agent procedure to multiple devices. Keep in mind all devices will be registering with the Customer/Site represent by the Customer Access Code specified when creating the agent.
- Click Private > My Procedures and double click <CUST_NAME>KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.
- If required, you can modify the current view to list specific devices you want to migrate from Kaseya to SolarWinds N-central.
- Select the check box before the device(s) to which you want to deploy the KaseyaMigrationandRemoval Agent Procedure.
- Click Run Now.
The status of devices that have deployed the
KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.exe application will change from green to gray within Kaseya, and those same devices will begin to populate the All Devices view of your SolarWinds N-central server.
Next customer Kaseya agent procedure
When you have migrated all the devices for one customer, you can proceed to the next step.
- Click Private > My Procedures and select (do not double click) <CUST_Name>KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.
- Click Rename Procedure.
- Enter the name of the name customer: <NEXT_CUST_NAME>KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.
- Click Save.
- Click Private > My Procedures and double-click <NEXT_CUST_NAME>KaseyaMigrationandRemoval.
- Select the third step, Execute C:\KaseyaMigrationand .
- Enter the arguments to pass to the executable box, update the customerid to reflect the next customer's Access Code. For example, in the screenshot below it has been changed to "472".
- Click Save and Close.
You can then deploy the agent procedure to this and subsequent customers, in the same way as described in Deploy KaseyaMigrationandRemoval agent procedure above.
To review all devices that have been imported into SolarWinds N-central, leverage the License Usage Report. This can be viewed from the Service Organization level by clicking Reports > Administrative > License Usage.