Group policy changes to the Windows firewall
To avoid a device being discovered by a probe as "Other" or unclassified, you can make changed to the group policy. This ensures that discovered devices are properly identified for management in SolarWinds N-central. SolarWinds MSP recommends creating a new group policy object (GPO) specific for a deployment to ensure that the changes are deployed to the devices.
Devices that have already been discovered as "Other" can be reclassified at any time, as described in Manage devices classified as "other".
- Log into the client environment and click Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Group Policy Management.
- Right-click the required domain name, and click Create a GPO in this domain and link it here.
- Enter a Name and click OK.
- Right-click the new GPO and click Enforced > Edit.
- In the right-hand pane tree, click Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Network Connections > Windows Firewall > Domain Profile.
- Double-click Allow inbound file and print sharing exception, select Enabled and click OK.
- Double-click Allow ICMP exceptions, select Enabled and Allow inbound echo request, and click OK.
- Double-click Allow inbound remote administration exception, select Enabled and click OK.
- Close the Group Policy Object.
Some of these path names described below may differ in your environment. In steps below, you can enter an asterisk (*) in the All unsolicited incoming messages from these IP addresses field to allow messages from any network, or enter the IP of a specific probe.
Group Policy changes are not immediate. To perform an immediate update by issue the command