Share a probe between associated customers or sites
Using probe sharing, you can share a probe with other sites associated with the customer or site. When you install a probe for a customer or site, the probe is available only in that location. If a customer has a head office and a number of small remote offices, you can install the probe on the head office and share it with the remote offices. This will make configuring and monitoring of devices across a customer's sites easier.
To successfully share the probe, ensure the locations are connected using a VPN or reside on an MPLS network.
- Click Administration > Probes.
- Select a probe and click Assign Probe.
- In the Monitoring column, find the customer identified as Enabled and click the down arrow to display associated sites.
- To make this probe available for associated sites, change the sliders to the On position.
- Monitoring enables the probe monitor devices on the site
- Discovery enables the probe to schedule and execute discovery jobs on the site
- Caching enables the probe host patches and miscellaneous SolarWinds N-central files on the site
The probe begins monitoring and performing the selected tasks for the additional sites.
If you remove a shared probe from the customer level for any reason, all features related to the probe are removed or disabled.