Probes probe windows probe using probes probe overview probes overview about probes
A probe provides network discovery, monitoring and management services for devices on that private network, leveraging industry standard protocols, such as WMI, SNMP, and ODBC. A Probe is a Windows application that resides on a computer, such as a server, within a customer network behind the firewall or in the private IP space. Every environment in your SolarWinds N-central network, including workgroups, requires a probe.
Probes are central to the monitoring process, and give you the ability to:
- facilitate discovery of IP based devices including workstations, servers, switches, printers,
- push software agents to Windows-based workstations and servers,
- monitor devices that cannot have an agent installed such as network gear and printers,
- assist in some forms of remote control,
- cache patch data to the UNC path of your choice, and
- collect log data from devices.
If you have an environment without a server, consider using a dedicated computer running Windows OS to run your probe. Alternatively, designate a PC in the environment to stay on permanently and run the probe.
When monitoring WMI services and running asset discovery tasks, Windows Probes can only monitor devices within the same Windows domain if the probe has domain administrator privileges, or work group if the devices have the same username and password as the probe.
Probes send minimal traffic over ports 443 (HTTP), 80 (HTTPS) and 22 (SSH).
Recommended Exclusions for Third Party Antivirus Software
SolarWinds N-central software (Agents and Probes) must be excluded from third party antivirus scans in order to function properly.
SolarWinds MSP recommends that you add the following path to the list of exclusions from security scans:
<install path>\N-able Technologies\
This is not required for security solutions integrated with SolarWinds N-central; for example, AV Defender.
What do you want to do?
- Install a Windows probe on a computer
- Add a probe to SolarWinds N-central
- Upgrade a Windows probe
- Associate a notification profile to a probe
- Share a probe between associated customers or sites
- Transfer tasks from one probe to another
- Disable a probe for maintenance