Install a Linux agent
Before you can use SolarWinds N-central to monitor and manage computers at a customer's site, you need to install the agent. The Linux agent monitors local services and reports any issues. Linux agents are installed by downloading and running the compressed installation files. Linux installs require independent Agents for 32-bit and 64-bit OS installs.
The probe performs an SSH connection a Linux device. To discover a Ubuntu/Debian OS device, the device must have openssh installed.
The Linux agent supports the following operating systems:
- CentOS 6.7 and higher (32/64-bit)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6 and 7 (32/64-bit)
- Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS build of "Trusty Tahr")
- Ubuntu 16.04 (LTS build of "Xenial Xerus")
Debian 8.7 32-bit (using Ubuntu Agent DEB version 14 x86)
Debian 8.7 64-bit (using Ubuntu Agent DEB 14 x64)
You need a device's agent activation key to install Linux agent software. Activation keys are displayed on the All Devices view. To copy the agent activation key, hover your mouse over the key icon and copy.
- Click Actions > Download Agent/Probe.
- From the Select Customer/Site drop-down menu, select a customer or site.
- In the System Agent/Probe area, click the Ubuntu Agent or CentOS/RedHat Agent link related to the version of Linux the customer is running.
- Open a Linux console on the device where you want to install the agent and navigate to the location of the downloaded file.
- Switch to root by typing
su rootand unzip the downloaded file by typing
tar -zxf <filename>
- Run the installation script.
1in the Linux Agent configuration menu and press Enter.
1in the sub-menu and press Enter.
- Type the device activation key. The key is generated when you enable the Install Local Agent option on the Settings > Local Agent tab for the device.
You can configure multiple addresses for an Agent to communicate with both a primary and backup SolarWinds N-central server. When typing multiple addresses, they must be separated by a comma but with no spaces between the different addresses and the comma.
Yin the Confirm Settings dialog box to confirm the settings.
3when the Agent installation is completed and press Enter.
The agent software installs and communicates with the SolarWinds N-central server.
If the device is rebooted at any time, the agent is automatically activated.
The Linux agent monitors the following information on a device:
- Disk Details
- Video Card Info
- Network Adapters
- Serial Number
- Populated Memory Slots
- Motherboard information