Deploy Arcserve backup using a rule
The backup deployment rule provides any easy way to install Arcserve backup management on devices. Using a rule, SolarWinds N-central automates the installation of Arcserve Backup on many devices with no user intervention, ensuring all devices automatically have a backup solution installed.
For more information, see What is Arcserve backup.
You need to create a filter that selects devices based on the criteria you have for deploying Arcserve backup management.
- Go to Configuration > Monitoring > Rules.
- Click Add.
- Enter a Name and Description.
- Click the Devices to Target tab and select a filter and select the devices to include.
- Click the Network Device Configuration Options tab, and click Backup Management.
- In the Arcserve Backup Management section, select Enable Backup Management from the Action drop-down list box.
- Select a backup profile from the drop-down list box.
- If creating this rule at the SO level, click the Grant Customers & Sites Access tab.
- Click and select how to propagate the rule to other customers and sites and select the customer/sites from the list.
- Click Save.
Arcserve Backup will now be installed on the devices associated with this rule. When new devices are added to the site, SolarWinds N-central runs the deployment rule to install Arcserve Backup.
When SolarWinds N-central installs Arcserve Backup, devices must restart twice: once for the installation of Arcserve Backup, and after installing the latest update. If the setting, Restart device if necessary is disabled on the Properties tab of the device (the default configuration), the Windows agent will not re-start the device. If Restart device if necessary is enabled, the Windows agent will re-start the device as follows:
- If no one is signed-in to the device - The Windows agent restarts the device once, immediately after Arcserve Backup has been installed, and then a second time immediately after the latest Arcserve Backup update has been applied.
- If a User is signed-in to the device - The Windows agent displays a message after installing Arcserve Backup asking them to re-start the device. If the user does not re-start the device within 60 minutes, the Windows agent automatically restarts the computer. This same behavior will occur when the Windows agent installs the most recent Arcserve Backup update.