Create service items for one-time projects
You can create service items to bill your customers for project-based work. Charge your customers a one-time fee for the entire project, or bill by the hour with one or more hourly rates. Generate invoices prior to starting work or create them after the project is completed.
Configure a project service item with multiple billing rates
To create a project and bill a customer using multiple hourly rates, such as different rates for employees or scope of work, you need to create a project service item.
In this example, configure a project service item with a total estimated cost of $1,500, 15 estimated hours of work, and multiple hourly rates.
- Navigate to and select a customer from the list.
- Select Service Items > Add Service Item and select Project from the Service Type list.
$1500in the Project Estimate field.
15in the Estimated Hours field.
- Select Actual Hours in the Bill For field.
- Select an hourly rate from the Default Rate list, or use the Add Rate button to create a new hourly rate.
- Select additional hourly rates from the Additional Rates list and click to save the service item.
The new service item is now assigned to the customer for whom it was created and can be applied to new tickets. Open and complete tickets in order to bill your customers.
Configure a project service item with a one-time flat fee
In this example, configure a project service item with a one-time project estimate fee of $700, 10 estimated hours, and an additional hourly rate.
- Follow steps 1 - 3 above.
$700in the Project Estimate field.
- Enter 10 in the Estimated Hours field.
- Select Project Estimate in the Bill For field.
- Select an hourly rate from the Default Rate field and click to save the service item.
Create a new billing batch to generate an invoice and bill your customer up front for the estimated hours. Open tickets to bill for time at the attached hourly rate after the estimated hours are used up.